Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Dave..

So, there is a guy here, an American, Dave Wittry. Dave maintains the blog for the Yangminshan Cycling Club that I found when I was planning my first trip here and was looking for people to ride with. My first contact I made with the local cycling scene was through Dave and my first ride here back in September he rode South a few miles to meet me and show me the way North to the usual meet spot for most rides around here. Dave is a teacher at the Taiwan American School.. his wife is Taiwanese and I think they have one child. The last few days we had been exchanging e-mails about my return here and I gave him some advice on a purchase of some race wheels he was considering. Dave, though a key figure in the local cycling scene is a bit new to it all.. and more of a tri-athlete guy.

So.. I just found out a little while ago that Dave drowned this morning. He had been down in the southern part of the Island with his family on holiday.. (chinese new year) and had gone out for a training swim with a friend. He got in to some difficulty and by the time the friend pulled him out of the ocean he was gone. I guess I'll find out more details in the next few days.. might even be attending some sort of service. Dave was super nice.. sweetest guy of the group here and really encouraging of bringing riders together. I did not know Dave that well, but it's still a little hard, I was expecting to see him on some rides soon... He will be greatly missed by the local cycling community here in Taipei.

That first ride I did back in September, I remember that Dave also stayed with me after everybody split up at the end of the ride. He took me through a bunch of back streets and shortcuts till he got me to a spot where I knew where I was and how to get home... he went way out of his way to take care of me.. it's still a little weird to think he died today.. he will be missed.

4 comments:

depoll said...

I was one of Dave's students in America before he moved to Taiwan. He was a great mentor, friend, and role model to me, and I can only echo your comments that he was an incredibly nice guy. My thoughts are with his wife and children (and the rest of his family) today. He will be sorely missed.

Peter Baiamonte said...

The local cycling community is riding together tomorrow morning... a memorial ride on one of Dave's favorite routes.. I plan to ride it I'll post again about it, also I believe some of the folks are putting together a fund for his kids.. I will post about that also.

Unknown said...

I went to grad school with Dave at Southern Illinois University. Just heard about Dave's passing from a mutual friend from school. I'm blown away by the news. Unfortunately I lost track of Dave after graduation, but he was a hell of a guy. Always ready to help and always had a smile on his face. What a loss. Let me know about the fund for his kids.

Peter Baiamonte said...

A fund was set up for the family.. I have the account info if anyone wants it though I'm not totally sure if there is a way to make a deposit to it online. Please e-mail me for info if interested. peter.baiamonte@verizon.net