Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Go away Wipha



Taipei, Taiwan, Fuxing MRT Station, 2:00PM Wednesday


So mighty Wipha is finally leaving us alone, Taiwan did not get the full Typhoon effect but it has poured non-stop for the last three days. This place is already fairly humid and wet, but Wipha was starting to make me feel downright uncomfortable. In some ways I'm still getting settled here, and trying to adjust. I can say.. it's a bit weird to be a white guy here, there are very few walking around and you stick out like a sore thumb, the locals are pretty good at not noticing you but they are trying hard not to stare. The smells are a little overwhelming also, from scooter exhaust to food to all kinds of other smells both weird and wonderfull, the place is an assault on the senses and I think I was feeling a bit overloaded yesterday. Dinner was a very funky pork burger on a bun made from steamed mashed rice (looked a bit like a big marshmallow), and pig intestine soup, if you get past the what the food was before it was food, you will find some really enjoyable stuff. My lovely host is taking the day off from work today and taking me sightseeing.. the sun is out.. things are looking up.

No comments: